Sunday, November 18, 2007

Mary Poppins

Last night, in an effort to get Sadie excited about cleaning her room, I suggested that we pretend we were cleaning her room by magic like in Mary Poppins. One minute she was grumpy and refusing to do anything, the next she was a perfectly behaved and willing participant. We proceeded to snap our fingers and "magically" clean her room. She was Jane; I was Mary Poppins; Dallin was Micheal; Steve was Bert. Steve thought we were nutty as I sang "Spoonful of Sugar" and tried to stay in character. Sadie loved it. We had the room clean in about 5 minutes, but she stayed in character the rest of the night. Anytime we called her Sadie she quickly corrected us with, "No, I'm Jane." It was really cute until 5 am I was awakened with a poke on the head . . . "Mary Poppins, I can't sleep."

Jane eventually went to sleep and now she is back to being Sadie. I am just amazed at how well a little play works to achieve some quick work.

3 comments:

the andersons said...

I agree... sometimes when we are walking and abby gets tired and doesn't want to walk anymore (that's a lot now that she's used to riding in the bike)... I'll ask her if she wants to try and make it fun. Then we sing songs or rhyme words or whatever to try and take her mind off of it. Lately, when she has been getting tired of walking, she'll ask, "Can we make it fun?"

JonesFamilyBlog said...

I know what you mean. I get nothing out of my boys until I tell them I am winning at cleaning the room and suddenly I have two little boys who hate to clean racing to beat me. Go figure.

Lisa said...

I forgot you had a blog! It was fun to read and catch up - you have two cuties. Sounds like I'll have to introduce Keely to Mary Poppins! : )