Thursday, May 14, 2009





For Mother's Day, Steve took the family to a place that he likes to go mountain biking. Shingletown Gap. I think the name is cool enough to warrant going. It's not very far from where we live, and yet it felt like we were out in the wilderness (not quite, but you get my point) That's one of the reasons why I love State College -- you don't have to go very far to get away. It was great to be out in the woods. We let the kids take their time walking because the terrain was pretty rough. At first Dallin was a little afraid of the fast moving creek, but after he got over it, there was nothing else that he would talk about. I think he said the word "water" about 500 times. Maybe more.

Sadie kept creating photo opportunities by finding a rock to sit on or a tree to stand by. It was kind of funny because it seemed like she was doing it on purpose because she knew I would take a picture. I don't think she was aware of that though. There is a romantic soul in that girl.

Steve would show me the trails he would have to carry his bike up in order to find the trail to ride. I don't know how he rides on those trails. They are extremely rocky and rooty (is that a word?) It all seems a little dangerous to me, especially when I see how steep they are. Maybe he shouldn't have shown me, because now I will worry even more. Oh, well, he loves it. He's also in an incredible mood after a bike ride. It's worth it.

The whole outing was very relaxing and fun. We didn't have a destination or a goal, we just walked and explored. It reminded me of outings into the forest as a kid. One in particular, Dad led us to some old beaver dams. We collected some salamander eggs and even caught some. I tried to drink some water just coming out of the pond and was instructed about all the things that could be living in that water. There's something to be said about connecting with nature. It makes you appreciate life in all it's forms. For me, my testimony of God's existence and His love for us is strengthened. I miss wandering through the woods and can't wait to go camping this year.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

I feel the exact same about nature. I loved camping and hiking in the mountains with my family when I was younger. I feel closer to God when I'm in nature. It's great that you can "get away from it all" so close to home.

Unknown said...

That is a great name. Who wouldn't want to go there? I have often thought of traveling up Dream Weaver Lane for the same reason.

the andersons said...

looks like lots of fun! and so relaxing!