Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Steve

Our little family has had a lot of changes in the past year. Steve changed his field of study, we moved to PA, Dallin was born. The biggest and most challenging change occurred at the beginning of this year when Steve stopped attending church with us. He started attending a Unitarian Universalist congregation and has started a blog which talks about his thoughts and feelings about religion and life in general. You can visit his blog.

Although it has been hard for me (and for Steve) we are actually doing quite well. I have had to rethink my idea about what I want our family to be. There have been some positive consequences to this huge change. For one, Steve is much more open about his thoughts on religion, and so we talk a lot more. We also talk about gospel topics more . . .this was a bit of surprise for me. After I was forced to reexamine my feelings about the gospel, I came out of it with a stronger testimony. There are things that we don't agree on, but what marriage doesn't have that? We look forward to teaching Sadie and Dallin the value of both of our beliefs. They continue to go to church with me, but occasionally will go with Dad.

I have sensed a deeper conviction from Steve. He isn't doing all of this out of laziness or a desire to sin -- he is doing what he thinks is right. He is more committed to me and to our children. He is always trying to be a better person . . . I'm actually quite proud of him.

2 comments:

k said...

Wow. Ryan and I went to the Universalist Unitarian church a few months ago and liked it pretty well. I'm really glad that it's brought you closer together with Steve. These changes can be vehicles to greater understanding and testimony in the long run. Who knows what will happen...

k said...

Hey, is it hard to go to church without any help during the meetings? Have you had people to talk to, etc?