Saturday, March 1, 2008

Growing Up

Sadie has always been interested in anatomy. We decided from the very beginning to be very open and honest with her questions. For awhile it was blood and bones. Then it was her brain. Right now it's boobs. She has asked when mine will go away because I don't have milk anymore. She has asked why she only has nipples. I explained that girls get larger breasts when they get older and they always keep them even when they aren't nursing. Well recently, I had a conversation with her on the very subject that just made me (and Steve) laugh out loud. I thought I would share it with everyone.

She was looking at a picture of a young girl with whom she was pretty impressed (it was the girl who is in the movie Spiderwick Chronicles) Our conversation goes as follows:

"Mommy, why does this little girl have boobs?"

"Well, she's not a really little girl. She doesn't have all of her boobs because . . ."

(In a condescending tone) "Mom, we only get two boobs."

Boy she told me . . . after my chuckle, I explained to her what I meant and that girls breasts begin to grow when they are about 11 years old. And that she looks young, but she is probably around 13 and her breasts are beginning to grow.

It's all just a matter of time before she starts asking the REALLY big questions. I let you know how THAT conversation goes.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Eeek, these kinds of conversations scare me:). Ryan asks a little about this stuff since I'm nursing but nothing too bad, yet. I think you're handling things pretty well!