Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Halloween on the 30th?

As you may know, we live in Penn State's family housing. And, apparently, they decide when Halloween is. For some strange reason, housing decided to celebrate Halloween today, the 30th, and not tomorrow. I emailed some staff members about it and they told me it was to avoid schedule conflicts for some of the staff members and to allow residents to participate in other local events tomorrow on Halloween. Weird. Anyway, there was a little parade around family housing for the kiddies, some games and food at the community center, and trick-or-treating. Below are some pictures.

Carrie made Sadie's dress. It's absolutely beautiful. Carrie did an awesome job. Sadie loves the dress. Dallin wore the Tigger costume that Sadie wore when she was younger. Cute.

Yes, I'm wearing a kilt! Isn't it awesome? I've been reading a lot about kilts and traditional Scottish dress. It's really interesting. Apparently, the pattern on my kilt is not a real tartan. Tartans are official patterns that represent families, regions, organizations, and so on. There are even tartans for U.S. states and branches of our military. Most tartans have some combination of red, green, and blue. Not all, but most. So mine is neither an official tartan nor a particularly traditional color scheme. The closest thing I could find is the Fort William District Tartan. I don't know why I'm so into this stuff. I love traditional Scottish music, and, of course, the bagpipes. I will always have a special place in my heart for Mexican music, food, and culture because of my dad. It's important to me and will be part of my life. But maybe because I'm adopted I feel like I have the ability to choose a bit of my own culture and traditions. And for me I think it's Scotland.

1 comment:

The Maddens said...

Halloween with kids and as kids has and will always be fun. As a parent though it is starting to be one of my favorite holidays. Looks like you guys had a good time.