Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Renaissance Faire 2

This last weekend I took Sadie to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire again. A while back I talked about our first trip to the Faire. We planned to go as a family but Dallin was sick so I just took Sadie and Carrie stayed home with the sickie. I tried to sell our remaining ticket but had no luck, so we had another go at it. Interestingly, Dallin was sick again, so there was no chance of taking them again. Plus, next weekend is the last weekend and I didn't want to miss the Penn State-Ohio State game.

If you're wondering about the fairness of Carrie staying home both times while I took Sadie, you'd certainly have a valid point. Part of it must be that Carrie is about 10 times better than me at taking care of sick babies, and the other part would probably be that I am a much bigger fan of Renaissance festivals in general than Carrie is. I went often as a kid and they definitely have a special place in my heart.

Anyway, we had a lot of fun. Sadie was very excited to see the same comedy-acrobat act we saw last time. Their name is Barely Balanced. Sadie was particularly fond of the woman in the act. We saw her a while after their show and had the chance to talk to her and take a picture with her.

All Sadie wanted to do was go on rides, but they were all really short and cost extra money, so it was a constant battle. I let her go on a few, but that wasn't enough for her. I did her to go to a couple shows aimed at kids, which she really did enjoy. We saw a music-comedy group called the Tartan Terrors. It's a Celtic music/comedy act from Canada. They were incredible. I bought a CD.

But the most exciting thing about the day was my purchase of a kilt. Yes, a kilt. I don't expect anyone to understand. It's just how it is. I have wanted a kilt for several years. I'm a lover of all things Scottish (or Irish for that matter). I've made a sacred promise to myself that I will learn to play the bagpipe at some point, and that we will visit Scotland. I thought a kilt would make an awesome Halloween costume, Renaissance festival costume, and something incredibly awesome to have. I promise to get pictures up on our blog of me in the kilt. Just promise to respect the kilt. That's all the inner Scotsman in me asks.

We did think of momma, though, in case you were wondering. We brought her home some wonderful-smelling hand-made soaps. She thought that was cool. Here are a couple pictures from the day.





No comments: