Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thank goodness for helmets!

Mom, if you're reading this, stop right here.

Last night I crashed while on a bike ride. I was going down a fairly steep hill, maybe a little faster than usual, and somehow I lost control. The next thing I knew I was on my side and my helmet visor was dangling. My bike was several feet in front of me. Dirt was rubbed into my shirt sleeve and my forearm pretty well, and my head started to hurt. I did a thorough check of myself, and then more importantly, my bike, and concluded that we were both OK (but I did have to straighten the handlebars). I called my wife to see if she thought I should cut my ride short. I had a headache and a bump, but I didn't feel drowsy, nauseated, or strange at all. I ended up continuing my ride for another half hour or so before coming home. When I got home, the helmet-shaped bruise on my forehead and temple kind of freaked me out.

There's a nice dent in my helmet. I'm just glad I was wearing one. I never thought I'd need it.

3 comments:

Lori said...

We're glad you're okay, Steve. Road (or dirt, I should say) rash really sucks.

Robyn said...

Glad you're okay, just make sure to buy a new helmet.

RGVprof said...

Robyn,

I did buy a new helmet. And I like it better than the old one. So, I guess that was one good thing about it, eh?