Saturday, August 23, 2008

We hiked Mt. Nittany!

Last night for our date night Carrie and I hiked Mt. Nittany. Yes, that Nittany, as in the Penn State Nittany Lions, the Mount Nittany Medical Center (where Dallin was born), and all the businesses in State College that have the word "Nittany" in their name. And there are a lot of them.

It was actually a pretty tough hike, particularly the first half mile or so which is really steep. Once you get to the top there's about a three mile loop. There are a couple places on the trail where you can see down into State College and we took some pictures.

If you live in State College and go to Penn State, you have to hike Mt. Nittany at some point, right? Anyway, it was a fun date and made us want to find some more hiking places around here.


It's probably kind of hard to see, but Beaver Stadium (where PSU football plays) is in the background, as well as the Bryce Jordan Center (PSU basketball and concerts).

This picture of Carrie is in a different spot. We couldn't figure out what was in the distance.


One of those dumb pictures where you hold the camera yourself.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

You've inspired us, we'll have to get out there and hike Nittany ourselves one of these days.

Maudie Jane said...

Hey, Carrie I just found your blog, there is a link from Justin's blog, which I have been spending much too much time on. We will be out in PA to visit with Kitti and Justin next week so hopefully we will see you.

Camille

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous! I found your blog through Reason and Reverence. I'm a State College native and moved to Upstate NY 5 years ago. I am SO homesick this time of year. As a matter of fact, I used to live in Lemont at the base of mt. nittany, across from the quarry. I miss that house so much.

Anyway, I"m glad you hiked Mt. Nittany - have you visited Shingletown Gap? It's a nice hike with kids.

I used to go to the UUFCC in State College too :)